Senior Software Engineer (Java) Flexible Working Available
As a Senior Software Engineer work in a thoroughbred Tribe with speed, agility, and chess-like strategy at our core, we design, develop, test and maintain the data which powers the sportsbook. Pushing new tech to its limits, we deliver resilient, scalable, high performing systems. Own the development process from automated build and release pipelines to monitoring performance metrics in real-time.
In the Trading tribe you'll work with the best people, you'll create innovative products and applications and you'll develop systems and software that can handle the biggest of challenges - like managing the odds of hundreds of concurrent football matches.
What you'll do:
We are expanding our in-house engineering capability in the Trading Tribe, and we are looking to hire an enthusiastic engineer. Join one of the most exciting tech teams in Leeds as a Software Engineer working with the latest technologies on the Skybet.com sports trading platform.
No previous experience in sports betting? No problem - we have many experts to learn from, and the technical excellence you'll bring is what we value. Salary and benefits packages reflect the high standard in our tech teams, with excellent training and development opportunities for all engineers.
As a Senior Engineer, you will be keen to share your skills and experience with other members of the squad to help them in their development. You will be self-motivated and willing to contribute to design at all levels, listening and learning from the talented people around you. We believe we have a strong culture and we want you to be a part of it
Read about our products:
How you'll do it:
Reporting to the Lead Software Engineer, you will:
- Turn concepts and requirements into highly available web applications and systems using technologies such as Java/Kotlin, AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform, React and Node.JS.
- Actively participate in application design, data-flows and detailed technical design. Ensure that analysis includes the wider view of technical and business impact.
- You will help steer the squad towards good software design patterns in object orientated and functional programming. You will help to promote best practices and share knowledge through code reviews and pairing.
- Look to release early and often to iteratively realise value.
- Share your expertise with other squad members and be eager to learn from them as well.
- Actively support the implementation of continuous integration to enhance deployment processes in line with SB&G delivery/release evolution plans.
How we work:
- You will need to demonstrate a high level of skill in Java 8, whilst Kotlin experience would also be appreciated. You should also be comfortable with techniques such as message queues, data stores and know what makes a good RESTful API.
- Our engineers work closely with colleagues in all positions, so a good level of interpersonal skill is important to us.
- We are not building monolithic enterprise apps - think cloud hosted micro-services and a lean approach with automated testing and deployments. This should be something you're passionate about too.
- We expect candidates to be comfortable working in a Mac / Linux environment.
- We work with the Service Desk to support our own products in and out of office hours.
- TDD is our preferred way of working.
What we can offer you…
We really care about your professional development. As a member of a technical team, you'll get 10% of your working week to dedicate to self-directed learning and development. You'll also have £1000 per year Tech Ninja fund to supply you with resources, whether that be a conference ticket or an AWS exam, we've got it covered.
Attractive relocation package for candidates that live outside the Yorkshire region, including those outside the UK.
Our People Ambition is to attract & develop diverse & talented people to meet the current and future growth needs of SB&G. Together, our aim is to create the Best Digital Business to work at.