Machine Operator - Flexible Working Available
Must be able to work on a 3 shift rotating pattern with some weekend working
Must be flexible within pattern of shift work to accommodate factory shutdowns, training courses etc.
MAIN JOB PURPOSE
This is a fantastic opportunity to join one of the largest Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) companies worldwide, and become part of an enthusiastic and brand-driven team in the Burton-on-Trent Unilever factory
The range of Machine Operator roles generally sit within the Filling, Forklift and Material Transfer, Mixer, Packing and Reporting Job Families.
The Machine Operator is responsible for the safe operation of production equipment to deliver customer requirements through completion of the production plan, adhering to quality standards and maximising cost effectiveness, optimal running and equipment efficiency.
You will be expected to carry out cleaning and inspection activities and record any issues/problems with the equipment to pass to the Technical Operator to resolve. The Machine Operator should master the operation of a series of machines in order to provide factory resilience.
Burton-upon-Trent is in East Staffordshire, around 30 minutes from the country’s second city, Birmingham. Other large nearby towns and cities include Derby, Lichfield, Stoke-on-Trent, Nottingham, Leicester and Wolverhampton.
- Technical - Knowledge and application of technical skills to Operate machinery safely and effectively in order to meet the production plan. Conduct cleaning and lubrication as required
Maintain machinery to the prescribed standards and levels of cleanliness.
Understand properties of materials being handled. Able to perform correct adjustment and setting.
Proactively work with Professional Maintenance and Quality Control staff to achieve zero breakdowns and zero defects.
Carry out product and process changeovers/wash-outs to maintain quality standards whilst minimising the impact to the production plan.
Safety – Utilise all appropriate safety and environmental procedures relating to the Sourcing Unit and allocated equipment to ensure a safe working environment for the whole team. Understand the legal responsibility placed upon individuals.
- Workplace Hazards - Full knowledge of the workplace and hazards within it. Utilise all appropriate safety and environmental procedures for people, processes, materials, products and equipment relevant to the task.
- Environment - Reduce costs due to waste and minimise impact to health, safety and the environment through working to eliminate waste and through the correct management of waste and hazardous materials.
- Quality - Monitors quality against set standards and reports any product and packaging faults. Detects process abnormalities quickly and takes emergency action to prevent them.
- Continuous Improvement – Knowledge and understanding of the key principles of WCM and an awareness of the tools used to identify and prioritise losses in the production area and eliminate them; role requires data collection. Monitor measures and performance after initial improvements and take further action as required.
- Problem Solving – A Working Knowledge of how to identify, prioritise and address problems using appropriate tools and techniques that eliminate recurrence. Must demonstrate initiative.
- Decision Making - Can make decisions to reject non compliant products and to support the work plan for the day.
- Teamwork – Must be a good team player capable of working within a highly effective team; responsible, supportive and able communicator.
- Administration - Conducts effective hand-over activities and records accurately events that have occurred during shift (cases packed/ rejects/maintenance conducted etc).
- Digital Capability – Strong understanding and utilization of SAP and other IT systems.
- Physical Ability – Machine Operators require a level of agility to move quickly between workstations, ascend and descend steps. Assembly and control operations also require a level of hand eye coordination and finger dexterity.
Minimum GCSE’s or equivalent in English and Maths at grade C or above
Basic mechanical awareness of the principles for factory automation.
Can maintain focus and discipline for the task whilst demonstrating good problem solving skills to protect output targets.
IT Skills – Competent in the use of Machine data and control systems that record Material Movement, Losses and Quality. Must also be competent in the use of Microsoft Office; Excel and Word programmes.
PREFERRED / DESIRABLE:
Experience as a Machine Operator.
Experience of manufacturing in a Fast Moving Consumer Goods Company.
Demonstrate strong mechanical aptitude to progress onto the Unilever Technical Operator Curriculum (Entry, Developing and Full level).
Unilever is a global Fast-Moving Consumer Goods company in the UK and Ireland. We are already on target to achieve our huge ambition to double the size of our business globally whilst reducing our environmental impact. We are growing our business and also doing what is right for our consumers, community and environment. We are developing brands for people’s lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow - making sustainable living commonplace.
Working at Unilever means that you get to take part in this exciting journey and work with amazing people who are really passionate about our large portfolio of famous brands. We want to improve billions of lives and you too can join us in making a sustainable difference.