Senior Payroll Technician - part or full time
This company is one of the largest independent chartered accountancy groups in the West of England. They have offices across the south west, and this job is based in their Swindon office. They have a loyal client base and firmly believe in establishing close relationships with their clients.
They fully support flexible working, with many of their colleagues working in flexible patterns across the week, and welcome applications from individuals returning to work after a break from accountancy practice.
To provide a comprehensive, customer focused client service for payroll activities to meet client needs, supporting the organisation to achieve the goals as laid out in the business plan.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensuring that clients receive an appropriate level of service to meet their business needs by:
- Maintaining a productive relationship with all clients in your portfolio, maintaining regular contact, completing all payroll work to meet the required deadlines and budgets
- Updating the monthly payroll planner and prioritise the time effectively to process the payrolls Monitoring and input deadlines of individual payrolls liaising with clients if the information is not received, raising with the manager if any difficulties are encountered
- Accurately inputting payroll amendments into the system, ensuring details are accurate, with clear neat working papers to reflect the payrolls produced and ensuring clear cross-referencing
- Correctly inputting all statutory data, understanding how the computations have been calculated, to check appropriately
- Producing all the required output reports and payslips, checking the data before sending to the client Ensuring clients make appropriate monthly payments of PAYE to the Collector of Taxes and monitor the receipt of PAYE cheques
- Composing correspondence to clients, tax office, and others
- Identifying opportunities for the provision of additional services and raising with the Payroll Manager, or other specialist, using the appropriate documentation
- Actively supporting all sales, promotional, marketing and networking activities of the organisation either to current clients or targets
Education & Qualifications
- Good standard of general education
- Payroll Qualification or appropriate experience
Experience and Knowledge
- IT-literate – Microsoft Office, accounts and other packages
- Used to working with owner – managed businesses
- Experience of Payroll Bureau software, ideally STAR
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbal across a range of audiences.
- Interpersonal skills to gain credibility internally and with clients.
- Good customer care skills
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills
- Able to work in an organised manner to strict deadlines – planning, diary management, department systems set up and maintenance
- Ability to prepare and present information and reports to various audiences in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to take a problem-solving approach – to analyse information and situations and generate reasoned recommendations for discussion with Director of Payroll, Client Manager or Partner
Disposition & Attitude
- Positive and outgoing
- Self-sufficient when necessary and able to work alone for periods of time
- Pro-active and willing to take responsibility for own areas of work – not waiting to be asked to undertake key responsibilities
- Tact and diplomacy – able to explain issues to colleagues, partners & clients
- Organised, methodical, detail conscious
- Self-confident and able to demonstrate effective use of personal judgement
- Flexibility – able to deal with changing priorities, deadlines and circumstances, willing to work with others
- Discreet and confidential – able to stand their ground where necessary regarding queries from others
- Creative – ideas to assist in meeting client expectations
- Mobility across company’s offices and client sites
- Ability to work outside of normal office hours when client needs require it
- Open to those having had a career break from working in an accountancy practice – no more than 5 years ideally, showing ability to demonstrate knowledge of changes in industry during that time
This is a permanent position, either part or full time, hours and days negotiable.
Swindon, plus travel to other office and client sites as required.