Manager - VAT - part time or full time
- Contract Type
This company is one of the largest independent chartered accountancy groups in the West of England. They have offices across the south west, and this job is based in their Swindon office. They have a loyal client base and firmly believe in establishing close relationships with their clients.
They fully support flexible working, with many of their colleagues working in flexible patterns across the week, and welcome applications from individuals returning to work after a break from accountancy practice.
To provide high quality VAT advice to clients and provide internal VAT support to colleagues
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- To provide high quality practical, commercial advice on complex VAT issues in plain English, to a range of clients (from small OMBs to AIM listed companies).
- To actively identify opportunities for VAT services and promote them internally and externally.
- To manage VAT planning projects to ensure efficient and effective delivery to deadlines.
- To negotiate with HMRC on VAT disputes.
- To deal with all VAT aspects of company sales and acquisitions, including carrying out due diligence, review of DD, review of sale and purchase agreement, and providing practical advice.
- To provide internal support for VAT queries from staff.
- To ensure all fees are agreed in advance and are billed promptly.
- Maintaining a CPD record and keeping up to date in order to maintain both individual and the firm’s obligations.
- To lead the team in the delivery of departmental objectives.
- To manage the workflow of the team and ensure client service standards are met.
- To provide feedback, support and professional development through 1-2-1 feedback and performance appraisals.
- To identify training needs and organise relevant training as appropriate.
- Identifying opportunities for the provision of additional services advising more senior staff of these.
- Actively supporting all sales, promotional, marketing and networking activities of the organisation either to current clients or targets.
- To deliver presentations at seminars etc. (including early morning / lunchtime / evenings).
- To prepare/deliver pitches for new clients
- To write articles for newsletters and press releases
- To keep up to date with technical developments and provide updates to colleagues
- Communicate opportunities for VAT advice to partners / managers
Education & Qualifications
ACA/ACCA with at least 2 years’ post-qualification experience or demonstrable qualified by experience
Experience & Knowledge
- Demonstrable audit experience in charities and not for profit organisations
- Involvement in planning and scheduling of audits
- Experience of managing a team
- Use of IT systems
- Experience of specialist audits
- Use of IRIS Software
Skills & Abilities
- Extensive expertise and practical experience specialising solely in VAT (to include M&S specialist areas such as charities, farming, professional practices, property, healthcare etc)
- Track record of promoting VAT advice to clients proactively
- Confident user of IT including Word and Excel
- Able to lead and manage a team
- Experience in excise duties
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills
- Able to work in an organised manner to strict deadlines – planning, diary management, department systems set up and maintained
- Interpersonal skills – able to build relationships both internally and with clients
- Client care skills
Disposition & Attitude
- Able to quickly establish rapport with colleagues and clients, interpret their needs and develop ongoing business relationships
- Able to communicate complex concepts with clarity both orally and in writing and tailor delivery to suit the audience
- Able to deliver projects on time and within budget
- Attention to detail and quality
- Desire to continuously learn and develop own expertise
- Confident presenter
- Self-motivated and organised
- Positive, solutions focused
- Mobility across company’s offices and client sites
- Ability to work outside of normal office hours as required
- Expected to participate in networking and business development events outside of working hours
- Open to those having had a career break from working in an accountancy practice – no more than 5 years ideally, showing ability to demonstrate knowledge of changes in industry during that time
This is a permanent position, either part time or full time, hours and days negotiable.
Swindon, plus travel to other office and client premises as required