Senior ICT Infrastructure Consultant
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
We are looking for a Senior ICT Infrastructure Consultant to join our systems, infrastructure & integration consultancy team, which is based within Arup Digital. We provide a broad range of consultancy services ranging from strategy, through detailed design and technical appraisal, to construction support and management. It is a position suitable for someone who is already a consultant or has worked in a similar environment such as pre-sales technical design support.
Our clients come from many markets, making for a varied and interesting profile. They include corporate and financial clients, residential and commercial developers, and sports, health and education clients. We are looking for an enthusiastic person with a detailed knowledge and experience of information and communications technologies and their installation in the built environment, who is interested in technology integration and smart buildings, and who has good project management and interpersonal skills and can mentor other members of staff. The role is based at our London office.
The role is for a senior consultant, leading designs for projects, managing project delivery teams and managing our client interface. The role will involve:
• Leading ICT design projects, either as a project manager leading a team of consultants (including delivery of the project and its commercial performance) or as part of an Arup multi-disciplinary team
• Capturing and understating client requirements
• Design development (from concept to construction level)
• Leading teams of consultants on projects, responsible for overall delivery, review of work etc.
• Monitoring of ICT installations and liaison with project representatives
• On-site witness of commissioning of installations
• Contribution to Arup’s developing knowledge and experience in the technology to support Smart Buildings
• Monitoring of the commercial performance of our work, including monitoring hours spent and, if needed, raising invoices
• Preparation of fee proposals for new projects
Projects will be in the UK and abroad. The candidate must be willing to travel abroad when needed; this role does not require extended periods away.
This person will report to the leader of the systems, infrastructure & integration team.
Requirements and skills
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
• You should have demonstrable evidence of typically around 10 years’ experience of working in a suitable environment, ideally undertaking commercial property and similar designs.
• We are looking for a person with practical experience of the design of ICT systems and their installation; this could have been gained, for example, from either another consultancy or from a technical systems pre-sales environment. This will have been in commercial property or similar markets, or in the aviation market.
• Expertise in the design, and integration within the built environment, in at least two of the following areas: structured and backbone cabling, technology room layout, telecommunications cabling, wired networks, wireless networks (Wi-Fi, LPWAN, LPLA), telephony, in-building cellular enhancement, smart building technologies and IoT.
• Experience of installation and commissioning on-site.
• Capable of writing of clear and concise reports and specifications in both technical and non-technical language, including preparation of easy to understand system diagrams and schematics
• A clear understanding of how technology impacts the work of others, e.g. heatloads and power requirements, room layouts and environments.
• Ability to self-check own work and the work of others.
• Knowledge of the buildings contract process and how this impacts technology specifications and contracting.
• You will need to have an appropriate industry qualification; a degree or professional qualification is not essential.
• You must be good at all forms of communication, both oral English (for meetings and presentations) and written English.
• Capable of working on several projects at the same time and able to prioritise their activities. You must be a team player.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
• Integration of building related technology to client enterprise system and user applications (eg smartphone)
• An understanding of 4G and 5G
Shape your time with us
We are keen to support flexible and part-time working wherever the role allows. If you wish to explore the possibilities associated with this opportunity, please let us know what you’re looking for in your cover letter when you apply.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
If you would like to learn more about this vacancy before applying, please contact:
Chris Norvall, Arup Resourcing - firstname.lastname@example.org